Sunday, December 14, 2008

Boston Market and donating food?

As I went into Boston Market to get some food for my diet (details, posts, and photos later), I noticed that they were still running the $2 whole rotisserie chicken promo (with purchase of family meal). $2 for a whole chicken is a ridiculous deal. But since I'm on a diet I didn't need the extra food. What I really want to do is to be able to buy that chicken for $2 and then donate it. Now, I don't know how much Boston Market makes on a $2 chicken, but I assume that even with really tiny margins it is profitable for them to sell that chicken. So why not give the customers an opportunity to donate that chicken? I'm sure if you arrange it with some soup kitchen/homeless shelter type place there are going to be willing volunteers who would come during off-peak or closing hours to pick up the food. Boston Market would still make money on the chicken (and the meal), and would receive good press for charity work. They would only have to do this during the holiday season. My guess is there's something in the corporate charter or in the law that prevents them from doing this, but it makes sense to me as being beneficial all around.

No comments :