Wednesday, March 4, 2009

One thing about the Oscars (entertainment)

I know it's a bit late, but I've only just recently come to this conclusion. I think the academy needs to stop giving out best actor awards to stars of biopics. While I haven't seen Milk and I did enjoy both lead actors' portrayals in Walk the Line and Ray, I just don't think it's acting in the purest sense.

I think that when an actor is given a character, it is the actor's job to make us believe that he/she is in fact that character. No matter how great Jamie Foxx's performance was, noone is going to say that he's Ray Charles. On the other hand, when Mickey Rourke played Randy the Ram in The Wrestler, I felt that he was that character. This is also why I thought Heath Ledger's Joker was so outstanding. He didn't need a backstory. He just was the Joker. And it made you want to know his backstory, but you'd only want to hear it specifically from him.

No comments :