Friday, September 18, 2009

Some finance thoughts (stock/trading)

This past week Bernanke said in response to a question, "From a technical perspective, the recession is very likely over at this point." Whether or not that's true, I strongly disagree with Bernanke making a statement like that in public. In the end, it's an opinion, but when policy makers speak, it's not always treated like that. Back when I took my quantitative economics courses, I remember calculations where the expectation of a policy has just as much effect as the actual policy. I just think that with Bernanke's role, he should make foward-looking policies, but not make foward-looking statements. I just think statements like that can be dangerous.

While I don't know how many people actually watch NY1 24-hour news channel, some may have heard of its "In the Papers" feature. Basically, the morning anchor flips through daily newspapers and makes comments on the different articles inside. I think this should seriously be a show on one of the business news networks. There are many publications out there, from WSJ to FT, and I personally have a subscription to IBD. While I always glance at the front page and read the news summaries, I often find that the articles and interviews I most enjoy reading are on the inside pages which I sometimes skip. I think there are a lot of interesting stories inside these financial publications that get skipped over since everyone's so busy. I would definitely be interested in a show that goes through them to find and comment on these gems.

No comments :