Saturday, May 3, 2008

This one might be it

I forgot it was even on today until I was walking around my new building's rec lounge and heard "My old Kentucky home". I had no idea who any of this year's Kentucky Derby entrants were. I did remember that last year I was extremely bullish on Curlin and he lost, although now he has demolished both the Breeders' Cup Classic and Dubai World Cup fields.

Being the horse racing enthusiast that I am, I sat down and watched. I saw the odds of all the horses, heard the commentary that there was a decently strong headwind, and if I would have had to venture a guess, I would have picked Colonel John. Then the race started and Big Brown came over from the extreme outside draw, sat 5 wide throughout, made his move going around the final turn, and powered to a victory pulling away. The horse was still jumping at the bit after the race, forcing jockey Kent Desormeaux to dismount.

This was an impressive victory both in the way that he achieved it and how he was pulling up after the race. The horse looks lean and long enough that they might be able to stretch the full mile and a half out of him. This one might be it. This might be the next Triple Crown winner. Although the final time wasn't that fast, this is one of the most impressive performances I've seen in a Derby in a while.

No comments :