Friday, July 3, 2009

L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon (VegasSummer 09, food)

Only an hour off the plane and barely checked into my room, my buddy calls me and says that he and his friend are going to L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon. As many of my readers know, I love all the L'Ateliers, having eaten at four of its worldwide locations (NYC, LV, HK, Paris).

So off we went to a huge meal on my first night in Vegas. I opted not to have any wine since I was playing the WSOP event #48 the next day. We decided on the "discovery menu" and added one of the miniburgers each because it's one of my favorite items on the menu and it was actually cheaper than the price on the NYC menu.

Foie gras parfait with port wine and parmesan foam
this amuse is one of the best things at L'atelier and I can never get enough of it.

Smoked salmon in an herb gelee with light wasabi cream
this was everything I would want in a starter. Light, tasty, with a kick from the wasabi cream and a good mix of textures.

Poached baby Kusshi oysters with French Echire butter
we all agreed that this was the least impressive of all the dishes.

Maine lobster in a tomato sauce and green asparagus
well-cooked and tasty, one of my friends said that this was his favorite dish. I liked it but was not blown away.

Foie gras ravioli in a warm chicken broth with herbs
this was much better than the one time I ordered this in NYC. For some reason the flavors melded much better this time. Great dish in cold weather.

Mackerel filet, baby artichokes, ginger oil
this was the most impressive dish for me. Just spectacular flavors and a perfectly cooked piece of fish.

Beef and foie gras burgers with caramelized bell peppers
wonderful as always. the flavors, the fat, the meat, it all just goes so well together.

Entree choice of foie gras stuffed quail or hanger steak with fried shallots
i've had the quail many times so I decided to try the hanger steak. It was very good but I'm not sure I would ever order it a la carte.

Peach confit infused with Moscato d'Asti, apricot milkshake
this was good but it was heavier than we all expected for a predessert.

Acai granitem, light caramel cream
good dessert to round out a great meal.

The discovery menu was $148 and the extra burger was $16. Unless you go crazy, I never find L'atelier to be overpriced for the consistently high quality of food.

No comments :