Friday, July 3, 2009

WSOP Event #48 (VegasSummer 09, gambling)

This was the $1500 PLO8 that I really wanted to play. The result was disappointing as I lost rather quickly. Everyone started with 1500 in chips with two rebuys of 1500 each that can be taken at any time in the first three levels. Blinds started at 25/50 and the second level was 50/100. There were at least three pros at my table and I'm pretty sure the pro directly to my left has a WSOP bracelet and ended up being the chip leader after the first day. Nobody at our table took any early rebuys.

It didn't help that I didn't get much in the way of cards. I was dealt A2xx only once during my hour and a half of play, and it was A2KT where everyone folded to my preflop raise. Any kind of speculative hand that I had (eg. 2345 double suited) in position would completely miss the flop. There were only two flops that I really hit. One was quads which I bet the whole way as the other guy chased an A3 low and caught on the river. The other hand I flopped the nut low with a flush draw and gutshot straight draw. The pro that called my bets had top two pair and the second nut low. The river counterfeited my low, filling his gutshot and leaving me without even half the pot.

For my first live tournament experience, I thought I learned a lot. I think if I played a similar event again I'd be more comfortable and more patient. Of course I would still need to get some cards and hit some flops, but I think I learned a lot more about the difference in live and online tournament play.

No comments :