Monday, December 21, 2009

It's SHOWtime (tv, entertainment)

Now that both seasons have finished, I was able to watch both Dexter and Californication on SHOWtime on Demand straight through. Brilliant seasons for both and while they're definitely not for everyone, I was very entertained.

Dexter

This whole season was a great big mindfck. In my view the best season since the first. This show is probably the best on tv at creating suspense. From the twists and turns to John Lithgow's excellent performance (he's really been terrific in everything and very underrated), it had me captivated and I'm really glad I didn't have to wait a week between episodes.

Californication

Gratuitous nudity, depraved characters, over the top situations, smart and witty dialogue. What's not to like? While all that is thoroughly enjoyable, the show is really about a modern dysfunctional family with probably more raw love for each other than any family depicted on television. Then there's Eva Amurri's strip scene. Hot. She's young, cute round face, and has big tickets. Hot. Also there's Kathleen Turner's character who's just hilarious. I would strongly recommend this show, but you'll know very quickly whether you'll enjoy it or find it highly offensive.

Speaking of being offensive, even though this show is not on SHOWtime, I have to mention it. This season's Curb Your Enthusiasm (HBO) was my favorite show of the year. From the plots that were even more wrong than usual to the Funkhouser joke to the brilliantly written Seinfeld reunion, I couldn't stop laughing and cringing at the same time.

As much as I love House, Mad Men, Gossip Girl, and 30 Rock, these three shows get my votes for best comedy (CYE), drama (Dexter), and guilty pleasure (Californication) on tv this year.

No comments :