Thursday, September 4, 2008

A quick point on the upcoming election

First off I'm going to remind everyone that I don't vote. As someone who works in finance, I obviously agree to some extent with general Republican policies. But the over-conservative and overly religion-based politicos of the recent regime have been driving me nuts.

So I buy a little of what both sides are selling. But I do have a preference if I were to vote this year. First, let me pose a question. Does anyone really think either of these two candidates will end up doing a horrendous job in office? I actually think either one would end up doing a very good job, though each with their own methods. So for me, it's a matter of long-term utility. If Obama loses, he's not going to pull a Gore. He seems like a guy who really believes in change, believes he'll be the person to bring that change, and just seems like a life-long politician. McCain, on the other hand, is old. It's doubtful he will run again if he loses this year. As I don't see anybody really stepping up in the near future, my feelings are quite simple: I'd rather see 4-8 years of McCain followed by 8 years of Obama than 8 years of Obama followed by I don't know who. And for those who are thinking 8 years of Obama followed by 8 years of Hillary, dream on.

No comments :